wasc.gif

WCEAlogosmall.gif

Sacred Heart School is Fully Accredited
by the Schools Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and by the Western Catholic Educational Association.

About Us

Sacred Heart School opened on October 12, 1953, with an enrollment of 401 students. By 1960 the enrollment had increased to 860 students in a sixteen-classroom school. The faculty was comprised of seven Benedictine Sisters and nine lay teachers. To promote good citizenship, leadership and to create a good spirit among the students, the Associated Student council was inaugurated in the spring of 1971. That same year, following a proposal by the Archdiocese, Sacred Heart School began phasing out one grade level per year until there remained single rooms for grades 1-8. The enrollment decreased from approximately 900 to 300. At that time, there were fifteen lay teachers and one religious as an administrator.

 

In 1983, the Benedictine Sisters left Sacred Heart and the school had a lay principal and staff from 1983 to 1986. Also in 1983, the Kindergarten was established with an enrollment of 24 students. In August of 1986, two Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth, Michigan, joined the Sacred Heart staff as co-principals. The enrollment of Sacred Heart was 310. In September of 1993, the Kindergarten room was enlarged and the enrollment was increased to 35. In June of 1998, the two Sisters left the school and a lay principal was hired. During the summer of 1998, central air-conditioning and heating was installed throughout the school. During the past four years, new carpet, new ADA compliant restrooms and a new roof were installed. A brand new primary playground was installed in 2002. In the summer of 2004, the refurbishment and replacement of fixtures in all restrooms was completed. The present enrollment is 321 students.


 Developed by Hybrid Web, Inc